Everyone who is half way familiar with pool knows that you must have a sturdy and stable stance when shooting, other wise it is like trying to string spaghetti through a needle. Without a stable stance your shot will be a mess and the cue stick can go anywhere.
However, you also need to have a stable mind set. How often have you been at that shot, the one that is easy as pie during practice but always makes you choke during a competition. This is when you are being mentally raped by a shot. Your mind is a thought factory, constantly pumping out thought after thought. As soon as you let a hint of doubt enter your mind that is when it becomes a hiccup in your record.
Tip today: Practice control over your thoughts.
- Imagine yourself at practice. Remember that it is just a game and you have already practiced this shot many times.
- Do not let your mind run loose. A loose stance will make for sloppy shots, same goes for a loose mind. When you find yourself over-thinking a situation, scared of a shot, frustrated, stop and ask yourself “is my mind loose”.
- Envision the shot. Take a moment to breathe and relax and actually visualize yourself making the shot. The neural networks in the brain will actually do a practice run, so that the neural networks in the muscle have a better course to follow when actually put into practice.
- Repeat a mantra. This will help to keep yourself in a mental state of stability. It will also make things seem comfortable and familiar no matter where you are or what tournament you are playing in.
- Keep confident. Once you lose your confidence fear will grip you and strangle all your ability. Remember that you can do it.